In 10 years with Earthlink as Founding CTO and Vice President Engineering oversaw growth from a single server and a few modems to a multi-billion dollar company with state-of-the-art data centers in Pasadena, CA and Atlanta, GA. Played key roles in EarthLink’s initial public offering in 1997, a major Sprint acquisition/partnership in 1998, a secondary public offering in July 1998, as well as other major business transactions and strategic decisions.
- Presented business case to key executives to undertake major projects by creating software team, which became a cornerstone of EarthLink engineering efforts for the next 2-3 years.
- Performed business analysis and research, focusing on order of magnitude performance improvement or cost reduction to existing operations as well as potential new product and service directions. Efforts resulted in Earthlink’s…
- Provided overall technical strategy across all technical divisions
- Assumed responsibility for EarthLink Technology comprising all customer-facing operations, network, web, email, etc., and held fiscal responsibility for $60M
- Grew organization from ~ 30 employees to over 120 while accommodating substantial customer growth: 900% in 1996, 85% in 1997, 200% in 1998, resulting in significant economies of scale.